Monday, February 01, 2021

Did you learn your lesson?

 I came across this poem twice and I would like to share it with you.  At one point in our lives we will be able to relate to this poem.

"There is a hole in my sidewalk"

by Portia Nelson

Chapter 1

I walk down the street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I fall in.

I am lost...I am helpless.

It isn't my fault.

It takes forever to find a way out

Chapter 2

I walk down the same street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk

I pretend I don't see it.

I fall in again.

I can't believe I am in the same place.

But, it isn't my fault.

It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter 3

I walk down the same street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I see it is there.

I still fall in...it's a habit.

My eyes are open.  I know where I am.  It is my fault.

I get out immediately.

Chapter 4

I walk down the same street

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.

I walk around it.

Chapter 5

I walk down another street.

 

We are all creatures of habits.  The moment we wake up we are on auto-pilot mode.  A lot of the things we do are repetitive in nature and we are no longer conscious of what we are doing.

When we are confronted with a problem, be it personal or professional, we see things based on our perspective.  We do not actually see the world as it is.  We see it based on who we are and that includes our filter from values, belief system, among others.

When a problem keeps happening and we are not changing our thinking process, the problem would recur.  Albert Einstein said it so well, “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."  More often than not we are not aware of our thinking patterns.  So how do we get out of our thinking rut, so to speak?  Is there a creative way to help us?

Here are some useful ways that you may want to consider:

1.     Discuss your pressing problem with a trusted friend.  One advantage of doing this is you will get a different perspective from a friend who is on the outside, looking in.

2.     Develop the habit of reflection at the end of each day.  Ask yourself what you did right and wrong.  From the experience, go further by thinking of what do you need to start doing?  What needs to be stopped?  What should be continued?  Write down your reflection in your journal.

3.     Use this question to lubricate your creative juices.  "What is a better way of addressing this issue or challenge?

If you have another technique or you want to share your experience, let me know.



No comments: